Design Engineer is a general term which comprises multiple engineering disciplines like mechanical, electrical,chemical, aeronautical, civil and structural /building/architectural. It’s a general thought that Design Engineering and Industrial Designing are the same, but not. Industrial designers are mostly responsible for the aesthetic, conceptual and ergonomic aspects of a design. Whereas the Design Engineer usually works with a team of engineers and other designers to develop conceptual and detailed designs.
Design Engineer might work with Industrial Designer to develop the product concept and specifications and might direct the design effort. Design Engineer has main job responsibility to analyze the problem and find its most optimal solution. He/She might work in a team along with industrial designers to create a prototype. However, with the advent of CAD and solid modeling software (PTC Creo, Siemens Nx CAD, SolidWorks, etc.) the design engineer might even work independently. Thus good command over designing software will make you more eligible for a better job position and better salary.
exact duties would depend on the project but could include:
· research – using mathematical modelling to work out whether new developments and innovations would work and be cost effective
· design – turning research ideas into technical plans for prototypes using computer-aided design (CAD) and computer-assisted engineering (CAE) software
· testing – collecting and analysing data from tests on prototypes
· modifying designs and re-testing – this process can go through several stages before a product is ready for manufacture or installation
· reporting – writing or presenting regular progress reports for project managers and clients.
· You might look at a range of features when developing ideas for a new product, such as:
o usability and safety
o strength and reliability
o the 'look' and 'feel'
o efficiency and cost
o maintenance and life span
The actual work will depend on experience and qualifications.
CANTER CADD is the best CAD Training Institute where we provide job oriented training for various design softwares. We provide 100% placement assistance to our students after completion of the training. A professional training certificate from CANTER CADD can lead you towards your dream job.